- ca. 150 AD., Roma
- Sardeis veya Müze Env. No.
- Mermer, Taş
- Eserin Türü
- Stel, Yazıt
- Yazıt Turu
- Mektupları, Kararları, Dilekçeleri, Abonelikleri, ve Onurlandıran Metinleri İçeren Dosya veya Mektup
- Yazıt Dili
- Yazıt Metni
0 [ ] λ̣ειπέσθω· ἐπερώτ[ησεν ] ὁ πρόεδρος· “δοκεῖ γραφῆναι τ[οῖς] κρατίστοις Σαρδιανοῖς ὑπὲρ το̣[ῦ] 4 ἀξιολογωτάτου Πολυβίου;” “π̣ᾶσ̣[ιν?].” “τί οἴεσθε;” “ὑπομνηματισάσ̣[θω?].” εἰσκληθεὶς εἶπε Πολύβιος· “μεγ[α]- λειοτέραν τῆς παρούσης μοι εὐ̣- 8 δαιμονίας οὐδεμίαν ἄλλην κρίν[ω], ἄνδρες Ἀρεοπαγεῖται· παρ᾿ ὑμῖν ε̣[ὐ]- τύχηκα καὶ στῆναι καὶ εἰπεῖν κα[ὶ] τῆς ἀφ᾿ ὑμῶν ἀπολαῦσαι μαρτυ[ρί]- 12 ας, ἧς ποτε τυχόντες μέγα ἐφ[ρό]- νησαν καὶ θεοί.” ἐξεβόησαν· “ἄξιος.”
- Yazıt Çevirisi
- “[- - -] be left(?).’ [name?], the president, asked: ‘Do you wish that a letter be written to the most excellent Sardians about the most venerable Polybios?’ ‘(Yes), we all do.’ ‘What do you think?’ ‘Let it be decreed.’ After being summoned, Polybios said: ‘I judge no other felicity more splendid than the present one, men of the Areopagos: it has been my fortune to stand before you, to speak, and to enjoy your testimony, which once gave great joy to gods when they received it.’ They shouted: ‘He is worthy.’”
- Yazıt Yorumu
- Alan (Sektör)
- BS 59
- BS Locus BS-W 8 (Area of)
- W24.25 - W25.25 / S1 *97.75 - 97.00
- Bulunduğu Yeri
- From Sardis, Byzantine Shop W8, reused as a water basin.
Stele of bluish marble; upper part broken off. It is inscribed on both sides by the same hand. A Latin cross on orb had later been carved over the surface (another such cross was carved on the surface of the stele no. 697, which stands to the left of the present one).
- H. 0.82, W. 0.55–59, Th. 0.16; H. of letters no. 319: 0.015–0.02; no. 320: 0.02.
Dots on the stone indicate (introduction to) changes of speakers (here not reproduced). “Similar protocol-style in the decrees of the Areopagos SEG 21, 505 and 506 (IG II2 1064), and in IG II2 1368; cf. also SEG 38, 1172, ed. pr.” (SEG 43).
5 “ὑπομνηματισμός is the technical term for a decree of the Areopagos: cf. inter alia Cic., Fam. 13.1.5; the verb is attested only in SEG 21, 506, l. 56, ed. pr.” (SEG 43).
12–13 “For this topos see S. Follet, BE 1995, 248; Jones, art. cit., 248/249” (SEG 43).
Herrmann and Jones deal with Polybios who erected a portrait of Cicero ca. 150 AD; cf. Sardis VII 1, no. 49, with comm. They discuss the possibility that he is identical with the ἀξιολογώτατος ἀσιάρχης καὶ λογιστὴς τὸ β´ Πολύβιος, TAM V 2, 828C, 9–11.
- Ayrıca bakınız
- Bkz.: M14, No. 319.
- P. Herrmann in Die epigraphische und altertumskundliche Erforschung Kleinasiens…, ed. G. Dobesch and G. Rehrenböck (1993 = ETAM 14), pp. 211–19; (a) = no. 319, (b) = no. 320; pl. XVI 1–3 (= Herrmann, Ausgew. Schriften, pp. 135–45;  = no. 319,  = no. 320; figs. 1–3; SEG 43, 863 [no. 319] and 864 [no. 320]). The stone and its setting are described by J. S. Crawford in M9, pp. 26, 29, fig. 68.