Wild Goat Style Lebes
- Context: later 7th to mid-6th c BC, Lydian
- Sardis or Museum Inv. No.
- Object Type
- Pottery Shape
- Pottery Ware
- Lydian Painted - Orientalizing
- Pottery Attribution
- HoB Lydian I - Refuse Piles
- B-Grid Coordinates
- W11 - W13 / S103 - S104 to *99.5 - 99.2
- W10 / S100 *100.30-99.60; W13 / S99 *99.00; W11–13 / S103–104 *99.50–99.20 ⁓ refuse pile
Several joining fragments of “Sardis Style” Orientalizing lebes. Everted rim; spherical body; slightly flattened bottom. Red and dark paint over fine white slip on the exterior and red on the interior. Exterior, over rim, a band of rectangular spaces divided by two short vertical lines: the spaces are alternately decorated with crisscross, and dots and circle with a central dot encircled by other dots; red banded on the edge of rim; three registers on the body, each divided by a single red band:
1. Red spotted and dark outlined feline walking left (hind preserved), two dark outlined and red spotted deer walking to right, small bird and hind of a running dog to right, red silhouette painted feline (?) to left (hind foot preserved), a red silhouette painted feline to right (foreleg, two hind legs, and underbelly preserved), and a bird painted red; filling ornament.
2. Spotted feline to left (hind foot preserved), grazing goat to right, walking goat to right, two antithetic lions, lion to right (fore and hind body of all lions are dark and mid-body red), spotted deer to right, filling ornament.
3. Reserved band.
Analyzed by M. Kerschner (sample Sard 58), and by Kealhofer and Grave (Kealhofer, Grave, and Marsh 2013: sample AIA 899).
- H. 0.24, Diam. of rim 0.32, Diam. of base 0.07.
- See Also
- See also: LATW, No. 90.
- Hanfmann, “Sardis 1963,” p. 11, fig. 6; Detweiler and Mitten 1963, p. 10, fig. 4; Mellink 1964, p. 163, pl. 52, fig. 20; Mitten 1966, p. 48, fig. 8 on p. 49; Art Treasures of Turkey (Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1966), pp. 29, 87, no. 113; Hanfmann 1967, p. 287, pl. 334; Greenewalt 1970, no. 1; Greenewalt 2010b, p. 117, fig. 16; LATW, p. 476, no. 90.